Participants acknowledge that advanced skills, conditioning and experience are essential to safe completion of the race and that they are prepared. The Race Director reserves the right to remove a racer who is not deemed able to complete the course, who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or for unsportsmanlike conduct.
- An Escort kayaker is required for solo swimmers and relays, to enhance safety and navigation. Swimmers must swim on either the left or the right side of the kayak.
- We will be happy to assist in relays in securing an escort boat with skipper. We will also be happy to help anyone needing assistance in finding an escort kayaker. These escorts will be of limited supply so first come first served. If you have an experienced kayaker you can rent a kayak from Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures, http://www.kayaksitka.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You must be able to show that you are experienced in order to rent a kayak as an escort.
- Wetsuits are required and swimmers must submit witnessed proof of a continuous one (1) hour swim in water at or below 60 degrees Fahrenheit or have a 2000m/2200y swim time of less than 40 mins. A letter by the individual’s swim coach or open water training coordinator attesting to the competitor’s ability to complete a swim in these conditions will be accepted. *The race staff may make exceptions to allow some swimmers to compete without wetsuits. Exceptions will be granted only to individuals who have proven experience (satisfactory to the race staff) with swimming in cold water races (below 60 degrees) without a wetsuit. Wetsuit waiver requests must be submitted to the Race Director at least (14) fourteen days prior to the event.
- There will be separate awards for swimmers and relays using wetsuits as follows: Fastest man/woman, fastest Male relay, fastest female relay and fastest mixed relay. There will also be separate awards for the 1K event, including Fastest Boy/Girl Youth Swimmer
- There will be a maximum of 50 individual swimmers in the 10k/6k/3k events. To assure completion of the event, please submit your 2000m/220yd time for review, (40 minutes or under for a 2k).
- Relay swimmers will have to meet the 2k swim times of 40 minutes or under, but will not have to complete a cold-water swim. The number of relays allowed entry will be 10.
- Each team shall have an appointed captain who is responsible for knowing all the rules and details of the race.